Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1st

In The Winds of Change, the new paradigm for teaching writing is discussed. 12 principal features are listed.  So, for my blog this week I’d like to focus on my top 3 of the 12.
1.       It stresses the principle that writing teachers should be people who write.
There are some phenomenal English Composition professors out there, but majority of the time that’s not the case. Of all the courses taught within the English Department, English Composition has the ability to make the greatest impact, so that’s why it should be imperative to choose professors wisely. I must highlight that just because someone is a good writer, doesn’t mean that they are a good teacher. The best writing teachers are excellent writers and teachers.

2.       It focuses on the writing process; instructors intervene in students writing during the process.
Shaughnessy states “we cannot teach students to write by looking only at what they have written.” Once students turn in their paper, the thought process is complete. It would be beneficial for students to receive feedback throughout the whole process.  Intervention throughout the process will allow students to share what they’re thinking and which direction they plan to go, then the teacher can guide them along the right path.

3.       It emphasizes that writing is a way of learning and developing as well as a communication skill.
Writing is a skill that can be taught. Some students are naturally more creative, and better at organizing their thoughts and ideas.  However, once students grasp the basic fundamentals of writing, and as they continue to develop their skill set, they can become better writers and communicators.

2 comments:

  1. “We cannot teach students to write by looking only at what they have written.”

    I wish I had learned this much earlier in my education. Only in the last year or so in graduate school have I come to appreciate the importance of drafting and process.

    I was doing a lot of writing in isolation, writing and rewriting sentences over again, editing all along the way. Then I would look up a citation. Then, finding the citation didn't fit exactly where I thought it would, I would rip out the entire paragraph and start over. I call this "defensive writing." It was all me from beginning to end.

    Only after I let go of this idea that I should write fluently and rather quickly in large chunks, with big brushstrokes, then go back in and fill in details later - even in later drafts, did writing become easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina,
    At first glance these criteria seem so logically based and make for 'common sense' statements; however, reflection for a moment or two quickly allows us to remember that we, as a field, have not always adhered to such principles. Like Dan's comment, my writing did not mature until AFTER undergraduate college studies, which leads me to ponder where my high school and college experiences placed in actual usefulness. Please understand that my H.S. teachers were mostly graduate and PhD level experts, so I had better than average instruction at an early age. Perhaps, we don't fully appreciate early lessons learned until our more mature years? That was a great thought provoking exercise!-RB

    ReplyDelete